Saturday, November 22, 2008

Welcome!


Welcome to my blog! I am finally getting organized. It is my hope to establish this blog for my students. I want to post material that will help my AP GOPO kids be successful throughout the course. I am hoping to include a calendar of events, announcements, and post relevant current events. My class won't start until January, but I am already prepping for it. So.... here it goes!


Those of you who are reading this blog and are enrolled in my class need to check out this site on a weekly basis for information pertaining to class! It is my fervent hope to make you all government geeks by the end of this endeavor:-) In order to start your journey down that path, please read the announcement below for an invaluable opportunity!


Announcement:

If you were unable to make the meeting at lunch last Wednesday and Thursday (11/20), I introduced an OPTIONAL pre-reading assignment. If you are interested you will need to read The Way to Win: Taking The White House in 2008 by Mark Halperin and John F. Harris and write a paper. You may download the assignment and the grading rubric. This assignment will be due on the FIRST day of class - January 19, 2009. If you complete the assignment you will be able to drop your lowest test score or not take a test of your choice during the semester.


I only have a limited number of copies (30 for 52 kids enrolled), so books are on a first come, first serve basis. I have 11 copies left. If you are interested in completing the assignment, but can't borrow a book, you may buy it online http://www.amazon.com/Way-Win-Taking-White-House/dp/1400064473/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227374741&sr=8-1 and I will buy it back from you when you are finished with it.
This book is about political strategy. It is not a dense reading assignment. There are also sections you may skip and still get the gist of it. All of these things are outlined in the assignment.
Good Luck and I look forward to working with all of you.

No comments: